PhotographySchool of Arts, Media and Education - Uni. of Bolton
Price on request
- Bachelor's degree
About the course
The department has a newly refurbished, custom-designed photography department with outstanding facilities including darkrooms, a dedicated computer suite with a high output printing facility and four studios with specialist lighting.
Teaching staff all have extensive experience in a broad range of photographic media and genres as well as the history and theory of photography.
You will be taught through a mix of lectures, seminars, workshops, studio sessions, study visits, group work, assignments and talks by visiting lecturers. Most of these visiting lecturers are practitioners in the world of photography. A large proportion of the course will consist of practical sessions in which you will learn and develop a broad range of applied photographic skills. Class sizes are relatively small which means there are excellent levels of contact and interaction with teaching staff and your fellow students.
You will also regularly take part in study visits to art and photography exhibitions. Links with our MA Photography programme offer the opportunity to attend talks by visiting speakers which will be of value to BA (Hons) students as well.
You will be assessed through practical work output, written work, a final exhibition and a dissertation.
What you will learn
You will learn the full range of applied skills that cover the actual practice of taking photos; issues of lighting, angles and composition; processes used in post production and computer software for image manipulation.
Through the wider study of the visual arts you will develop your visual language and critical understanding and how these are applied in creating images.
The Photography degree at Bolton has a growing reputation for developing creative graduates who are able to deal with the varied demands of the profession, articulate their own ideas through their command of visual language, demonstrate an understanding of contemporary and historical professional practice and make informed decisions about the nature, purpose and direction of their work.
In addition to developing your knowledge of photography, you will learn a range of broader transferable skills such as teamwork, oral and written communication, making presentations, organisation and time management.
- The course emphasises the importance of developing you as an individual as well as the skills and individual creativity you will need for a career in visual media.
- You will have access to the latest, custom-designed facilities in our newly refurbished photography department.
- The study of digital technology is a key component of the course.
- You will have the opportunity to tailor your studies towards individual specialisms or areas of personal interest.
- Teaching staff and visiting lecturers are all active practitioners in the field of photography or associated areas.
Careers and professional development
Our graduates find employment in a wide range of visual media. Former students have gone on to find careers, both employed and self-employed, in editorial, documentary and social photography; commercial and fashion studios, plus other arts-related sectors such as the media, galleries, museums and commercial environments.
Students may also progress to postgraduate study including our masters courses in Photography and Digital Image & Media here at the University of Bolton. Some of our students have also progressed to teacher training.
The following combined honours options are available in photography:
- BA (Hons) Animation & Illustration and Photography
- BA (Hons) Photography and Creative Writing
- BA (Hons) Photography and English
- BA (Hons) Photography and Film & Media Studies
- BA (Hons) Photography and Fine Arts
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design and Photography
Mode of attendance : Full-time