Translation and Professional Language SkillsFaculty of Humanities & Social Sciences - University of Bath
Price on request
To prepare linguists for careers in several areas of specialised language work in which there is a rapidly growing demand for highly trained speakers of English, both in the UK and abroad.
Suitable for: Students whose first or "A" language is English and who can work from at least one of the European languages taught in the Department (French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish). Applications are welcome from students who have taken a first degree that combines a language with another subject (e.g. economics, law, business studies, etc.)
Requirements: Good honours degree. Applicants must have English as their "A" language and demonstrate degree-level knowledge of at least one of the five European languages taught in the Department (French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish).
MA in Translation and Professional Language Skills
This one-year programme includes translation, editing and revision, précis writing, liaison interpreting and proofreading. The programme also covers real-world skills such as translation management and setting up in business as a translator.
The languages currently offered by the Department for this programme are French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish.
All students take the following core units:
- Professional translation - both semesters (Trains students in the skills and techniques required by translators in the professional world)
- Editing and revision - both semesters (Focuses on developing students' awareness of style, register and usage, with a view to producing clear and concise English texts)
- Liaison interpreting - first semester only (Realistic, face-to-face interpreting with the emphasis on frequently encountered scenarios)
All the optional units are for a single semester.
- Précis writing for the UN (Semester 2)
- Proofreading - (Semester 1)
- Translation management - (Semester 1)
- Enterprise skills for linguists
- Additional translation - (Semester 2)
- Public service interpreting - (Semester 2)
A variety of extra-curricular units are offered, designed to provide students with background knowledge that will underpin their language-related work. These include:
- Approaches to professional work
- Elements of English law
- Introduction to economics
- Law of the EU
- Basic international law
- The institutions of the European Union
Students who wish to proceed to the MA in Translation and Professional Language Skills must submit a 15,000 word dissertation after successful completion of the taught section of the programme.
Please note that the Optional Unit of Précis Writing is not available for German and Italian which means that those offering German or Italian only on the course (one language only) will have to take Public Service Interpreting as an optional unit in Semester 2.
Placements are normally organised during the year with the language services of international organisations, government departments or translation companies. They are not a compulsory part of the programme nor can they be guaranteed.
1 year, full-time.
Career opportunities: We have been encouraged to launch this programme by a wide range of employers, including international bodies such as the European Commission, the European Central Bank and numerous UN agencies. It is expected that such organisations will be keen to recruit the linguists we produce.
Contact person: Mrs. E. Kidd