Accounting is concerned with the measurement and disclosure of financial information. As experts in a highly complex and regulated field, both within companies and as external professionals, accountants have a vital role in ensuring the accuracy of financial information given to private individuals, managers, investors, regulators, decision makers and the public...
The Accounting & Finance Degree from Aberystwyth will enable you to develop the skills and expert judgement for financial measurement and presentation together with an understanding of the legal framework regulating operational practice.
Here at Aberystwyth, you will study your Accounting & Finance degree in a Department which:
- combines traditional academic teaching with up-to-date training in the skills you will need for business;
- works with you as an individual to optimise your career opportunities;
- lets you combine Accounting and Finance with a fantastic range of other disciplines, from Computer Science to Spanish;
- is in a University which, year after year, has one of the highest student satisfaction ratings in the UK;
- offers all students the opportunity to take a year out from their studies to work in business.
The Accounting & Finance degree provides exemptions from the UK's professional accounting bodies - ACCA full exemption of the Certified Accounting Technician, and 7 out of the 9 Fundamental ACCA papers, CIMA full exemption of the Certificate in Business Accounting and various exemptions of the professional papers depending on the electives chosen, and ACA three of the professional papers.
Accounting & Finance Degree Year 1
No prior knowledge is assumed, so your first year studying for your Accounting & Finance degree lays the foundation for your future studies, introducing you to the basic principles and mathematics of accounting and to the professional, business and marketing environment.
Core modules in Year 1 include:
- Introduction to Financial Management;
- Mathematics and Quantitative Methods for Accounting;
- The Business Environment;
- Financial Accounting for Specialists.
Accounting & Finance Degree Years 2+3
In years 2+3 you will begin to explore some of the details of the specific rules and practices of accounting in fields such as audit and taxation, as well as looking in greater depth at management accounting and its relationship to broader aspects of management.
Core modules in Years 2+3 include:
- Corporate Finance;
- Recent Developments in Management Accounting;
- Group Financial Reporting.
Throughout Years 2+3, as your competence and confidence increases, you will be able to choose modules on topics in which you are particularly interested, from a range including Taxation and The Role and Practice of Audit.