Suitable for: Performers of outstanding ability who want to become professional actors in theatre, film and television.
Questions & Answers
Ask a question and other users will answer you
Performance is at the core of the course. Study of the major approaches to acting in a wide range of genres including classical Greek tragedy, Shakespeare, Chekhov and contemporary and new writing, is supported by work on voice and movement as well as Acting for Media. Areas of study also include New Work (techniques for actors in the development of new writing, and devising for actors); Educational Drama and Theatre for Young People; Critical and Contextual Studies (history and theory); and Professional Practice (career and entrepreneurial skills).
We deliberately keep classes and cast sizes small so that we can ensure that all students receive individual attention where required, and have an opportunity to fully develop their own skills and specialist areas.
Performances in the Academy's purpose built venues form a key part of the course - these are open to the public and are actively promoted by the Academy's marketing department.
The RSAMD has unrivalled professional links both within the UK and overseas. Students are provided with opportunities to perform in some of Scotland's top theatres and to tour productions to drama colleges, theatres and festivals overseas. Many students work as professional actors before graduation and all students are encouraged to see themselves as professional actors in training and not simply as ‘drama students'.
With a final year showcase to present our actors to prospective employers from theatre, film television and radio, as well as agents and casting directors in Glasgow and London, the course provides an ideal platform from which to launch your acting career.
This vocational degree in acting is aimed at performers of outstanding ability who wish to make their career as professional actors in theatre, film and television.
At the heart of the programme is the systematic teaching of classical and contemporary approaches to acting, including in-depth work based on Stanislavski, Lecoq and others. Students are supported by an extensive programme of voice, movement and singing studies and the course offers a substantial amount of Acting for Media. Class numbers and cast sizes are kept small to ensure that all students can receive individual attention when necessary.
Students engage in performance throughout the course, making extensive use of the purpose-built performance spaces of the RSAMD and in particular of the Chandler Studio and the New Athenaeum Theatre, as well as appearing in professional theatres in RSAMD co-productions or as fully paid up members of the professional company. Students may also tour productions in Scotland and abroad.
- Performance is at the core of the course.
- Classes and cast sizes are kept small.
- Training in acting for camera forms an important part of your studies delivered in collaboration with our BA Digital Film and Television and guest professional film and TV practitioners.
- Extensive training in radio techniques is given in the Academy Recording Studio with regular input from experienced radio actors and BBC Radio Drama Producers.
- Students undertake classes in singing, dance, fencing, Alexander Technique, Voice and Movement for actors.
- Students regularly perform in professional venues.
- In the last few years productions have been staged in Germany, Poland and France.
- Students are prepared thoroughly for entry into the profession.
- This course is well-known to the profession and many potential employers attend performances throughout the year including our Audition Showcase in Glasgow and London's West End.
- The course employs top flight professional directors and specialist tutors.
- Masterclasses with challenging professionals are organised regularly.
- As part of their Professional Practice module Final Year Acting students work with a number of top directors, casting directors, actors and agents all of whom are available to give careers advice.
- Each Final Year Actor has a working actor as a professional mentor.