- Access to course content on mobile, tablet or desktop
- Make your own study schedule and take advantage of online tutoring hours
- Obtain a certified diploma once you finish the course.
This course is based on two approaches:
• The concept-led approach which includes study of the laws, theories and models of chemistry, exploring the practical application of these in both knowledge and with reference to everyday life.
• The context-led approach considers applications of chemical knowledge and looks at the underpinning concepts.
This particular course will offer both these approaches in combination, so students will benefit from a mixed approach; this is more appropriate for distance learning students as there is a need for flexibility. The assessment criteria and structure is the same for both approaches. After each topic there will be a tutor marked assignment, this can be emailed to your tutor as an attachment in Word, Works or RTF format. You will be sent a welcome letter by your tutor, as soon as you make contact, which will outline assignment submission in more detail.
There is a practical element to the A Level award which expects distance learning students to reflect on practical chemistry knowledge as well as theoretical. This unit will be undertaken in our external laboratory.
Your project will be marked and moderated by an independent coursework marker at the centre where you sit your examinations. There may be a fee for the marking. All distance learning students should download the Private Candidates Handbook from AQA’s website which gives you guidance on finding an examination centre and registering. Likewise, International students need to download the specific handbook for them, which will give alternative examination arrangements etc.