- Access to course content on mobile, tablet or desktop
- Make your own study schedule and take advantage of online tutoring hours
- Obtain a certified diploma once you finish the course.
This medication online course meets the requirements for and covers in its entirety the Learning Outcomes for the "Knowledge Set for Medication" as defined by Skills for Care and Development in 2005: Following successful completion, individuals must be observed by a designated person to competently administer a range of medicines. We can provide registered students with a downloadable proforma for this purpose. Following successful completion of the theoretical and practical components, a manager may recognise an individual as a person designated for the administration of medicines.
- Improve your career prospects.
- Learn valuable knowledge, skills, advice and guidance to help you achieve success.
- Study online from anywhere.
- Study at your own pace.
- Download and print your industry recognised certificate on successful completion.
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into bite-sized modules. You're free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each section, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web-based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers and most tablet devices etc. so you can even study while on the move! As long as you have access to the internet, you should be able to study anywhere that's convenient.
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all the modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken at a time and location of your choosing.
What if I don't pass the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time then you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the entire program is likely to take around 2-4 hours to work through initially, but you may want to allow more time to repeat some areas. You should allow an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
- Describe the key legislation and guidance relating to the safe handling of medicines
- Identify how organisational policies and procedures ensure the safe handling of medicines
- For a range of care settings and both medical and non-medical care staff, outline the process for the prescribing, dispensing, obtaining and checking of medicines
- Outline the range of support and guidance available relating to medicines and explain the importance of confidentiality relating to disclosure about individuals medication
- Identify the types, purpose and classification of medicines commonly administered
- Explain the routes by which medicines may be administered, the related rules for administration and level of competence required
- Outline the importance of checking for, recognising and reporting effects that can occur as a result of an adverse reaction, a contraindication or an interaction between medicines
- Explain the need to gain consent and undertake risk assessment prior to the self or secondary administration of medicines
- Describe the importance of the preparation for and administration of medicines to ensure accuracy
- Identify the importance of accurate recording for the administration and refusal of medicines and administration errors
- Recognise the requirements to validate the accuracy of safe storage and recording for medicines and for their safe disposal