Questions & Answers
Ask a question and other users will answer you
To make sure the course is right for you, we ask you to provide evidence of grades and/or achievements before enrolment can be completed.
Students who do not meet the entry criteria are expected to undertake diagnostic tests in literacy and/or number. You may also be asked to complete a written test in your chosen subject.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
OPEN LEARNING is a way of studying by a 'non-traditional' method, where you can study at your own pace and fit in your learning with work and family commitments. It is ideal for anyone who is unable to attend classes on a regular basis. This course is perfect if you want to achieve a GCSE for further study, work or just out of interest.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
With increasing integration into Europe, studying Spanish as a second language is beneficial for both work and leisure. Whether you are a complete beginner or have some knowledge of Spanish, this course will enable you to achieve GCSE marks up to grade B and also help you:
- gain an understanding of spoken and written Spanish through various interesting exercises
- develop the ability to communicate effectively in Spanish in both speech and writing
- establish an excellent foundation for practical use and/or further study of Spanish
- learn more about the countries and communities in which Spanish is spoken
The course has been written in a practical and interactive style with activities and self-check questions. The course materials are :
- a study guide and student handbook containing valuable study skills advice
- a total of 18 self-contained topics that are structured to help you learn
- an assignment guide designed to help you complete your 15 assignments
- an introductory skills unit containing 4 topics designed to give you a head start in your studies
- a vocabulary and grammar summary giving you a complete reference and chance for review
- an exam book with important advice and guidance
- a copy of Palgrave Macmillan Breakthrough Spanish 1 EURO edition 4th edition published 2003 and 4 cassettes
- a free NEC revision cassette to help prepare you for exams
Mode of study - open/distance learning.
Study time - each of the 18 topics is self-contained and takes about 1-2 hours of study time. If you intend to take the GCSE exam and plan on studying every topic, you will need to study for at least 3-5 hours per week for approximately 9 months. The course also contains 15 assignments with advice on how and when to complete them.
Duration - all GCSE subjects are studied over one academic year.
Start date - enrolment can take place anytime throughout the year but GCSE exams are set for May/June only. It is therefore a good idea to enrol at the earliest opportunity to give yourself the maximum amount of time to complete the course.
Examination structure - The course covers the GCSE specification for Spanish 3691A set by the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA). All candidates must attempt all the following Attainment Target skills: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing. Each of these carries 25% of the total exam marks. Candidates must enter for each of the skills. They may enter for the same tier of all skills or for a mix of tiers but may not enter for both tiers of the same skill. If you complete the Spanish course successfully, you will be able to enter for all four Foundation tests which cover grades C-G or a mixture of Higher and Foundation tests. Candidates entering one or two skills at the Higher tier can achieve grade B. The NEC course does not cover the coursework option for the Writing test.
Subjects covered by the course -
Introductory Skills Topics
Studying a foreign language
Listening and pronunciation guide
GCSE Study Topics
Talking about yourself
Talking about family and friends
Finding holiday accommodation
Ordering drinks and snacks
Telling the time
Shopping for food
Getting what you want
Travel and transport
Enjoy your meal!
Interests, hobbies and healthy living; Town and country - holiday activities
School, work and getting a job; Home life
People and relationships; Future plans - Careers and holidays
Talking about past events
Type of Study :: Course Duration :: Course reference number :: Start Date :: Tutorial Fees :: Material Fees :: Exam Fees
part time OL001 Please enquire TBC TBC TBC