Different dates available
In recent times letterpress has enjoyed a big revival along with a host of other traditional skills. Industry trained tutor Helen Ingham has been at the forefront of this revival and has featured in numerous design publications while continuing to produce a variety of innovative work...
Questions & Answers
Ask a question and other users will answer you
Achievements for this centre
- Confidence Training
- Printing Press
In recent times letterpress has enjoyed a big revival along with a host of other traditional skills. Industry trained tutor Helen Ingham has been at the forefront of this revival and has featured in numerous design publications while continuing to produce a variety of innovative work. During this course, a small group of students are taken through three areas of letterpress work in the unique Central Saint Martins Letterpress Workshop.
- Following an introduction and examples of other practitioners' work, there will be an explanation of the hand setting of moveable metal type, and a joint project will be set.
- Following projects involve the use of larger wooden type with a versatile and experimental range of print processes. You are welcome to bring letterpress printing blocks of your own for use if suitable; these can be wood, metal, lino, laser cut wood or photopolymer.
- Under supervision, blocks and type will be set for printing on a variety of presses.
- The course includes instruction on Adana 8x5 table top printing press, Vandercook proof press, and Beevers hydraulic platen press, with one-to-one instruction where needed.
- You will be provided with notes and additional suggested reading and will take home a selection of distinctive printed items.
Previous students who have attended this course have gained enough confidence to develop their own letterpress workshops and are now successful printers in their own right.
Level: This course caters for beginners as well as those with some previous experience.
Who should take this course?
- Those with a passion for hands-on processes, typography and printing.
- Students who wish to get back to the physical skills of producing hand-made text and image-based artwork.
- Anyone who simply wishes to try out letterpress with supervision on hand, in a friendly and relaxed environment.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older