You will be introduced to current materials, techniques and design processes in a combined first year (all three degree disciplines) and gain a strong grounding in workshop machinery and practices, which are relevant to the whole programme.
You will explore a wide range of specialist materials and processes such as sculpting, moulding and casting that enable the creation of original characters, props and set dressings. Communication of ideas will be developed through drawing and presentation skills. You can also combine designing and making characters with animation using stop motion armatures, or with animatronics (in collaboration with students on the special effects degree).
All of our second year students have the option to undertake a professional work experience module with one of our many high profile industry contacts.
We regularly provide fantastic work experience opportunities for students across the three degrees within the Model and Special Effects programme; students can choose to take a range of modules as a replacement for all or part of one semester in their second year of study. The staff team have excellent contacts in the creative industries and have won awards for their work supporting students in this activity. Staff are frequently able to provide students with high-profile work placements.
Typically students spend up to 3 months of optional replacement study, with leading companies across the creative industries. These often include opportunities in architecture, design, film and TV. Our students have worked on major blockbuster movies such as Captain America: The First Avenger, X Men: First Class, Wrath of the Titans, Batman 3: The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, Thor: The Dark World, Maleficent, World War Z, Edge of Tomorrow, Guardians of the Galaxy and Jupiter Ascending.
- Scale and Structure - 30 Credits
- Design and Fabrication - 30 Credits
- Shape and Form - 30 Credits
- The Model in Mind (C&CS) - 30 Credits
- Turbo A - 15 Credits
- Turbo B - 15 Credits
- Design Process and Realisation - 30 Credits
- Talking Models (C&CS) - 30 Credits
- Character and Creative Effects Contextualised Model - 30 Credits
- Professional Work Experience 30: Screen - 30 Credits
- Professional Work Experience 45: Screen - 45 Credits
- Professional Work Experience 15: Screen - 15 Credits
- Professional Work Experience 15 5B: Screen - 15 Credits
- Professional Context Model - 30 Credits
- Professional Practice - 15 Credits
- Creative Effects Major Project Proposal - 15 Credits
- Critical and Cultural Studies: L6 Enquiry / Report / Essay (Model Design) - 30 Credits
- Character and Creative Effects Major Project - 30 Credits
- Year Abroad - 0 Credits
- Sandwich Year (Creative Arts) - 0 Credits