Initial Assessment and Induction
Before starting these programmes, we require delegates to complete a Self Assessment and Personal Action Plan to identify:
- Specific training needs
- Support and guidance requirements
- Units that have already been completed or existing credits that have been accumulated
This form will help you to establish whether you require any additional training in order to complete the units. If necessary, you will need to develop a plan with your manager to gain competence in the relevant areas before attempting the units.
The time it takes you to complete the course is entirely up to you. On average, it takes delegates between 15 and 18 months. However, some candidates manage to complete within a year, while others take longer than 18 months. Additional support can be purchased should you require more time to complete your qualification.
There are 11 individual units that you must complete if you wish to achieve the full diploma. Should you wish to reach Graduate Membership and follow the Chartered Membership route through IOSH, you will need to complete an additional unit which IOSH require (unit 611 - Professional development and ethics in health and safety management).
The 11 Mandatory units are as follows:
- 402 Develop and implement effective communication systems for health and safety information.
- 510 Promote a positive health and safety culture.
- 511 Develop and maintain individual and organisational competence in health and safety matters.
- 512 Control health and safety risks.
- 513 Develop and implement proactive monitoring systems for health and safety.
- 514 Develop and implement reactive monitoring systems for health and safety.
- 515 Develop and implement health and safety emergency response systems and procedures.
- 516 Develop and implement health and safety review systems.
- 517 Develop and implement a health and safety audit.
- 518 Behavioural safety in the workplace.
- 610 Develop and implement the health and safety policy.
The mandatory unit for Graduate Membership recognition and Chartered Membership route:
- 611 IOSH Mandatory Unit - Professional development and ethics in health and safety management.
Once you have completed these units, you will be awarded a certificate to demonstrate competence to the national standard. Your City and Guilds Level 5 NVQ Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice certificate will detail all the individual units you have completed as part of your overall programme.