Be able to recognise and identify PLC hardware components. Be able to replace input / output cards. Be able to get on line and monitor PLC code. Understand PLC basic instruction set and basic LADDER programs. Be able to upload and download (backup and restore) a PLC program. Using simple techniques and test points be able to perform basic system diagnostics when a problem occurs. Suitable for beginners.
To take into account
No prerequisites this is a beginners course.
Questions & Answers
Ask a question and other users will answer you
Basic Introduction to PLCs
To fault find a system you need to know EXACTLY how it works
HOW EXACTLY DOES A PLC WORK?
- Am I getting the input to the PLC?
- The Led on the output card means i am getting voltage out right? does it?
- A PLC is a logic controller, so use a logical approach to fault find it.
- What are the 8 simple test points to check?
- The PLC is in RUN, that means theres a program right? does it?
Then you need to Know the specifics
HOW DO I DO THE FOLLOWING?
(some straight forward some not so)
- How do I check power is ON and PLC is in right mode (RUN or Program)
- Check for a fault condition
- Establish a link between PC and PLC (can be a major issue nowadays)
- Create a blank project and take a backup (just in case I mess up)
- Open project for PLC and go OnLine
- Interrogate Diagnostics
- Identify if it is a hardware or software fault?
- Change the battery
- Change input / output cards if necessary, (with spares and without spares)
- Identify if it is a PLC or Comms fault
- Check all settings against a template etc.
- Check Hardware ( What voltage should be where)
- Clear Memory and Download program
- Check software against latest copy
- Monitor program effectively
- Understand Basic Ladder Programs
- Searching for specific operands and instructions
- Check or create a monitor table to establish parameter status
- Call up reference data to assist with software diagnostics
- Display Documentation (Symbols, Comments)
Course Equipment Per Delegate
- FX Series PLC
- PC or Laptop