Suitable for: Anyone that wants to learn about the red camera
Questions & Answers
Ask a question and other users will answer you
The RED five day course will take you through every aspect of using the RED camera.
Taking you through pre production with set up, assembly, preparation and operation.
Production with advanced operation, camera function, lens choice, exposure, R3D file formats
and performance. And Post Production, taking into account preparation of dailies using RED Cine X Pro, exporting for offline editing, grading, and editing.
The course will comprehensively cover all aspects of the RED workflow, from power up to delivery.
The course is suitable for anyone who is interested in working using the RED Camera,
providing valuable information for Directors, Producers, Editors, Camera Operators,
Cinematographers, Focus Pullers, and assistants.
To ensure a hands on experience each course will have between 5 to 10 participants.
This approach will allow the maximum opportunity to shoot one on one, in real shooting
environments, and to gain useful real practical experience with the RED setup.
• Bring along a synopsis for a One minute film set in One place with One character –
following a vote the group will film one of them as part of the course.
• Bring an external drive: Take away R3D footage to edit, practice, and work on at your leisure.
Day 1: Hardware – the camera
• Intro: An introduction to the course, and an informal discussion as to what each participant wishes to achieve from the course.
• Hardware: Building the camera and all the separate component options – including The Cubetm.
• Firmware: In depth look at the menus, and how to prepare the camera for shooting. Dealing with timecode, frame rate, exposure, REDCODE recording format settings, media options – drives and CF, resolution and varispeed
• Controlled test shooting.
Day 2: Shooting
• Shooting: taking the camera through every aspect of operation in real filming situations. The
practical applications of all of the features of the RED.
• Wrangling / DIT: Managing the workflow from the camera, R3D file formats, and backing up data.
Day 3: Shooting into RED Workflow – red cine x pro
• Raw Negatives: Processing the R3D files into an editable format
• Proxy Files: Playback, spot editing, and media and data management
Day 4: Editing and Pre-Gradind
• Editing: Bringing the film to edit
• RED CINE X Pro: Comprehensive use of the free piece of software from RED, pre-grading, proxy file replacement, encoding and grading
Day 5: Editing – Online
• Workflow: Examining the different examples of managing the alternative RED workflows
• Delivery: Online the film to full resolution, deliver to TV, SD, 1080p, and filmout