Frequent Asked Questions
· What are the objectives of this course?
The objectives of this course is to learn how to analyse a range of different types of texts using linguistic methods. You will explore language in use and how languages varies in different contexts.
· Who is it intended for?
This course is intended for those who wish to continue their study on English Language but go for a higher qualification. This is a recognised qualification for entry into higher education.
5 GCSEs at A* - C (or new grade 9-4), including English Language at grade B (or new grade 6), and Maths at Minimun C (or new grade 4)
A Level English Language
· What marks this course apart?
In this course you will be able to explore language in use and how language varies in different contexts. You will also investigate a chosen topic of interest and produce a piece of original writing.
· What happens after requesting information?
The appropriate Course Information leaflet and application form will be sent out shortly
What could be improved Nothing bad.
Would you recommend this course? Yes.
What you'll learn on the course
Skills and Training
Teachers and trainers (1)
What you will study
The topics you will study on the A Level English Language course will include:
• Textual Variation and Representation
• Language and Gender
• Language and Occupation
• Language and Region
• Language and Social Groups
• Child Language Acquisition
• Language Change
In year 2, you are also given the opportunity to independently investigate an area of language as part of your A Level coursework.
How you will learn
• Lessons will consist of group and whole class discussion
• You will have the opportunity to practise and develop your written skills
• You will be expected to work independently on your coursework
• You will have one-to-one support from your tutor
• You will be able to access a range of sources on our VLE and through our extensive library catalogue