Food & Wine
Embarking on this course will open the door to a wealth of culinary knowledge and technique. You will be encouraged to develop your flair and creativity as you continually extend your repertoire of menus. In addition to a high standard of cookery skills, you will also learn about team management, business planning and healthy eating - all essential knowledge for the modern cook.
Suitable for: The Diploma has a broad appeal. Whether you are planning to go to University, or have recently graduated, this course will give you a superb foundation for achieving success in the culinary world. Alternatively, if you want to change your career path or start your own business, the Diploma will provide you with the necessary skills to help launch your venture.
Questions & Answers
Ask a question and other users will answer you
A complete education in food, wine and business. Our prestigious Diploma promotes the very highest standards of traditional culinary skills. It embraces a comprehensive syllabus, from basics to cordon bleu.
Embarking on this course will open the door to a wealth of culinary knowledge and technique. You will be encouraged to develop your flair and creativity as you continually extend your repertoire of menus. In addition to a high standard of cookery skills, you will also learn about team management, business planning and healthy eating – all essential knowledge for the modern cook. During the course we will also help you to cultivate your leadership and diplomatic skills. The friendly and relaxed farmhouse environment provides the ideal setting for a relaxed yet intensive learning environment.
The course now includes Cooking for Food Allergies.
Topics that have been covered previously on the Diploma in Food & Wine:
- Primary methods of cooking: baking, boiling, steaming, roasting and pan frying
- Meat, poultry, game, fish, vegetables and sauces
- Canapés, starters, soups and desserts
- Creative vegetarian cuisine
- Bread making, pasta and pastries
- Ice creams and sorbets
- Herbs and spices
- Jams and chutneys
- Lodge cooking
- REHIS Food Handlers Certificate
- Flower arranging
- Table service: food, wine, table presentation, silver service, social and 'front of house' skills
- Wine appreciation and choosing wine to complement food
- WSET Levels 1 & 2
- Bar Skills – one day course
- Build Your Own Business course, in association with Greenside Business Services
- Professional work experience with top Edinburgh chefs and culinary experts
The Diploma is taught in 2 semesters. Students have the opportunity to cook on domestic, commercial and Aga cookers, preparing them for any cooking situation. There is an emphasis on modern restaurant standards and a chance to experience large scale catering with commercial quantities. Students are assessed through continuous appraisal of assigned projects and practical cookery skills.
On completion of the Diploma you can choose from a broad range of careers:
- Hospitality - hotels, restaurants, bars and cafes
- Small business world
- Freelance seasonal employment in castles, shooting and fishing lodges, yachts, directors’ dining rooms and private homes
- Ski companies - ski chalets and other holiday resort work
The final standard of cookery achieved with the Diploma is comparable to that found in the best restaurants and corporate settings. We are confident that you will be given the skills and self-belief to pursue a successful career in your chosen culinary field. We work closely with Scottish and London-based agencies and with a network of former ESFW students around the world, owning and running successful businesses.
The Cook’s Essential Kit
As well as benefiting from high quality teaching and extensive practical experience on this course, you will also be given your own Cook’s Essential Kit – a vital companion to equip you in the world of cookery. You will use this throughout your course and be given the kit to take away with you – for no extra charge!
Food & Wine